Sunday, August 31, 2008

Satanic Square Dance

My father died and my mother was happy, my sister upset about legalities and debts.

Crucifix drawn on the wall with crudely made symbols. Brother explained that Satan told him that he was doing a square dance around the Cross.

Dad didn't get to say his farewells, rudely snuffed out. Mum was so sickenly happy. Me? Confused. Hand to stomach. What was happening? I was on a bus pointing out landmarks in a thick Scottish accent. That's Dundyvan Road, thats the home my Grandfather and I visited in a black Hackney cab. That used to be Magnet Mart. You have a Magnet Mart where you come from, don't you?

I spotted my boss sitting on some steps, I approached him and carefully told him I was pregnant. His response? We'll start you on the Cafe as soon as we can.

People came up bombarding me with questions, Who is the Father? How are you pregnant?

I didn't know how I was or who could possibly have fertilized me. I was confused. My dad is gone and my life felt like it had ended.

I wasn't me. But I was me. So confused.

The place I was in whirled around me faster and faster and in an instant I was back facing the wall with the Cross.

1 comment:

Bruce Hodder said...

Be careful of crosses, Holl. I think sometimes they are put there by Mara to confuse us.