Friday, August 8, 2008

Acid Rain

The Olympics opening ceremony is due to start in just over 4 hours. Shall I watch? Of course, the occasional swimming race for me. Nothing compares to the swimming at Sydney...and feeling so patriotic from my living room. I had an old schoolmate that was participating in the Paralympics, and I watched her from Scotland...sadly she didn't do too well, but I know she's still at it. Good luck to her, wherever she is.

8 is supposed to be a lucky, prosperous number. 08/08/08. In Numerology, the date also adds up to 8. There have been quite a few earthquakes in China in the past 6 months. Lucky? Sharon Stone famously said it was their Karma. Was it? Was it the civilians? The peasants? The children? The horses? The goats?

God gives life, he taketh away.

The world is indeed changing rapidly. Hotter Summers, Colder Winters, More Earthquakes, Floods and Storms. Is it our fault? Sure. Damn right. Some blame is to lie with Mother Nature. But in science and indeed religion, everything happens for a reason. Disasters are a test of faith. Day to day living is a test of faith. The bear is about to emerge from the acid rain riddled woods and stones... Babylon is about to fall.

Not at least until the stock market completely crashes.

In other writings, Holly had another panic attack at work yesterday and then burned her hand on a grill wearing plastic gloves. And the shrink wants to see me twice a month now and my medication has been raised. Ho hum.

1 comment:

Bruce Hodder said...

Imagine old Sharon saying that Chinese peasants dying in earthquakes was karma being visited on the nation for their human rights abuses (or whatever she thought they were being punished for). She probably bought herself a lot of karma saying something so cruel and judgemental. Is it a poor farmer's fault that the Communist super-bastard who runs the country has taken away free speech and jails anybody(including poor farmers) who attempt to exercise it? Bollocks, I say, with an English sneer.

I was on fluoxetine a couple of years ago when the depression really got to me (or when I was honest enough to admit it had really got to me). I was also having regular counselling. I don't have either anymore and half the time the inside of my head feels like the battlefront in Afghanistan. I don't know why I mention that, but hey, there you go. It's good to share. "I'm with you in Rockland," as Allen Ginsberg says. And one day it might be true!

By the way, I wish I could feel some enthusiasm for the Olympics. I feel like I'm missing something that everybody but me understands. No change there then. I'm not a sporting addict though I support my home football team Ipswich Town. But it's really all the crazed rhetoric around the event, I think, that's putting me off. The BBC commentators who are talking about it sound like they're on drugs.