Friday, July 18, 2008

Pending Arrival Part 2

To view part 1 click here.

We've been walking for what seemed like days but the sun never set nor did it rise. The clouds have not moved. The wind did not change. Sand turned to soil, Spinifex into shrubs, umbrellas to houses. The parrot decided to perch on the girls shoulder when I stooped to carry her on mine.

We have walked into a township. Residents are outside, tying branches to trees with haywire in the mud. Children are trying to ride their bicycles to be bogged again and again in the mud. The dogs seem to be having the most fun, chasing each other and splashing mud over the working adults. "That storm was a fierce one," a man said, coming over "We seem to have more storms these days. This weather is getting crazy. You look like you could both do with a rest and a feed. I'm going to make some sandwiches, come." Normally I wouldn't entrust some random stranger, especiallly if I have another so young in my care. There is something about this man that does feel familiar though. This place is familiar. Those dogs are familiar. His home is bright and aerated.

Sandwiches filled with cold meat and salad are placed in front of us and we dig in, munching in silence until he speaks. "I've just gotten back a week ago. I've had such a wonderful time away. Now this has happened and I have to start over again. Nice doll you have there," he nods to the girl. She shrinks behind me and her eyes gaze off dreamily to some unknown place. "There are people coming for you both shortly. I had a phone call before the storm came. Some friends of yours I presumed. They mentioned that there was a flight you were supposed to be on and it was delayed and that the flight cannot go ahead without both of you on board. Rest easy my friends, they shall be here soon."

What people? Why? Who?

I looked behind me to see the little girl playing with her ribbons and playing with her doll.

The ribbons reminded me of a task I had previously, of searching for a wedding dress. Simple, elegant, feminine. I never did manage to find what I was looking for, but by judging those ribbons, I had an idea.

The doorbell rings some minutes later.

To be continued....

No comments: